Disclaimer: Yes, I KNOW we’re nearly three weeks into the new decade. Hush, please.
Another Disclaimer (this is for Jenny): This is long. Ten years was a long time. I write can write a novel about a weekend. Or hell, even a day. What do you expect for ten whole years?
I’ve been reading some of my friends’ blogs, and seeing a lot of reflections on the last decade here and there. I realized yesterday while driving to pick The Good.Sport up from an unexpectedly long day that, ten years ago, I could NEVER have predicted where I would be in life today. So, a look back over the last ten years is what I shall write about today, with a focus on New Year’s Eves because they especially reflect how much my life has changed – and how much it hasn’t.
New Year’s Eve 1999/2000
I rang in the New Year with my mom, my brother, a very good friend of mine, and a magnum of Dom. We sat around the living room, eating and drinking and being merry, and wondering if planes were going to fall out of the sky at midnight. I was a senior in college. I was going to graduate and do who-knows-what with my life, and L’il Bro was about to finish high school and head to college himself. In many ways, that New Year’s Eve was the end of an era.
In 2000, I did graduate from college, and decided to head to grad school. My identity changed from a Terrier to a Blue Devil, and my temporary address from Massachusetts to North Carolina. Old friendships were re-defined, new friendships were made.
I’ve been reading some of my friends’ blogs, and seeing a lot of reflections on the last decade here and there. I realized yesterday while driving to pick The Good.Sport up from an unexpectedly long day that, ten years ago, I could NEVER have predicted where I would be in life today. So, a look back over the last ten years is what I shall write about today, with a focus on New Year’s Eves because they especially reflect how much my life has changed – and how much it hasn’t.
New Year’s Eve 1999/2000
I rang in the New Year with my mom, my brother, a very good friend of mine, and a magnum of Dom. We sat around the living room, eating and drinking and being merry, and wondering if planes were going to fall out of the sky at midnight. I was a senior in college. I was going to graduate and do who-knows-what with my life, and L’il Bro was about to finish high school and head to college himself. In many ways, that New Year’s Eve was the end of an era.
In 2000, I did graduate from college, and decided to head to grad school. My identity changed from a Terrier to a Blue Devil, and my temporary address from Massachusetts to North Carolina. Old friendships were re-defined, new friendships were made.
Bye, New England. I'll be back.New Year’s Eve 2000/2001 OR New Year’s Eve 2001/2002
One of these was spent with a friend of mine from grad school and her then-manfriend at a bar in Wrigleyville watching a band from their college. The bar part was fun, but the post-bar death march through the snow to get burritos that I attempted to order in Spanish (much to the delight of the burrito guys) is the part I remember. Especially when friend and I fell smack on our booties in the eleventeen-foot deep snow and her manfriend just kept walking, oblivious to our pain and suffering. We still tease him about it J
The other one of these was spent on the couch in my parents’ living room, I’m pretty sure. I’m positive there was champagne involved J
In 2001 I moved from one town in NC to another.
Hiya, Beaufort!Life was good. I was still in school and had not a care in the world. At least, looking back now, that’s how it seems. I met one of my best friends that year. If it weren’t for her I may not have eaten a single dinner during my second year of graduate school. I also would have consumed far less wine. Suffice it to say, I am better off for knowing her. We’ll call her BFF since it’s what the kids are saying these days.

In case you're wondering, the bag contains a dolphin head.
She's rad that way.
In 2002 I finished up grad school, got a job, and moved. Again. To DC. And then a few months later, to Arlington. I hope you’re keeping track of how many moves we’re talking about, kids. There will be a quiz.

New Year’s Eve 2002/2003
My awesome roommates (one of whom is the friend from the Wrigleyville bar story) and I host what was potentially the greatest New Year’s Eve party EVER. We made people dress up. Everyone brought a different type of alcohol. We posted drink recipes on the walls and left out all the mixers and supplies. At 11:45pm some girl ran around in a panic because she was giving up smoking at midnight and wanted one last cigarette. I am fairly certain she never found one. I sometimes wonder if she was successful in her resolution. The friend from NYE 99/00 came down for the party. It was the first and last time I made spanakopita from scratch. There was champagne.
In 2003 I became settled in my job and was generally enjoying the young, single life in the DC area. And I ran a marathon. No complaints!
New Year’s Eve 2003/2004
I am thinking this is the one I spent at one of those big, fancy hotel parties downtown where everyone is young and ruining their really fancy clothes by getting sloppy drunk. I did not ruin my fancy clothes, thankyouverymuch. I behaved myself. I clearly remember the first song after the countdown being “Hey, Ya” by Outkast. And there was champagne!

Another average year of work (and yes, I'm working in that photo). Learned a lot. Loved a lot. No regrets for 2004.
New Year’s Eve 2004/2005
Spent on my brother’s couch in Florida. We made fondue and I’m pretty sure we both passed out before 11pm. Ahh, adulthood! We attempted to make hurricanes using some mix I’d picked up in New Orleans. They were the most awful concoction I’ve ever imbibed. We ended up with champagne J
In 2005, old relationships ended, and new ones began. The period between January 2005 and January 2006 was perhaps the most influential in shaping the person I am today. I learned so much about myself and made some much-needed improvements. The year wasn’t without pain, but for every ounce of pain I went through in that year, I’ve been so blessed to have experienced 10 ounces of joy since then. Also in 2005, I finally join the 21st century and get a digital camera. Which is why I suddenly have photos to go with my recap beginning in this year.
Me. In 2005. In New England. Again.
New Year’s Eve 2005/2006
Umm, parents’ couch with champagne. My mom and dad both had to work and L’il Bro went out partying (as he should have). I didn’t want to go out so I ate and drank champagne and rang in the New Year in delicious solitude. Thankfully that was not a symbol of the year that was to come!
You see, not even one month later I met The Good.Sport. This was not our first meeting. We had met a year before, but had not has so much as a two-sentence conversation. In 2006 I met him again and we immediately hit it off. He was to move to the DC area that June, and I initially told him to look me up when he arrived. He didn’t have to, as we were already together when he moved up.
This was taken on the trip where we met.
Another year of great change, I moved (but stayed in the same town). I moved in with BFF, who had herself experienced great changes in 2006. In 2006 I also adopted my doggie, who I love to bits. Oh and I started a new job. Lots going on, most of it good.
New Year’s Eve 2006/2007
Spent on my parents’ couch with mom, dad, and The Good.Sport. Can’t remember if L’il Bro was there or if he went out. Champagne was there!
Smart man. He brought champagne to go with the diamonds.
That year ended up being one of the most joyous and also the toughest of my life, but in the end joy won out. Oh, and I moved. Again. Still the same town, though.
Oh and that friend from the Wrigleyville NYE? She and her now-husband became parents to twins. I’d say life has changed, wouldn’t you?
New Year’s Eve 2007/2008
This was spent in Grand Lake, Colorado with another very good friend of mine, her then-brand-new fiancé, and two other couples. We sang, we danced, we ate, we drank champagne J It was snowy and cold outside, but so very warm and cozy inside.
She's rad that way.
In 2002 I finished up grad school, got a job, and moved. Again. To DC. And then a few months later, to Arlington. I hope you’re keeping track of how many moves we’re talking about, kids. There will be a quiz.

New Year’s Eve 2002/2003
My awesome roommates (one of whom is the friend from the Wrigleyville bar story) and I host what was potentially the greatest New Year’s Eve party EVER. We made people dress up. Everyone brought a different type of alcohol. We posted drink recipes on the walls and left out all the mixers and supplies. At 11:45pm some girl ran around in a panic because she was giving up smoking at midnight and wanted one last cigarette. I am fairly certain she never found one. I sometimes wonder if she was successful in her resolution. The friend from NYE 99/00 came down for the party. It was the first and last time I made spanakopita from scratch. There was champagne.
In 2003 I became settled in my job and was generally enjoying the young, single life in the DC area. And I ran a marathon. No complaints!
New Year’s Eve 2003/2004
I am thinking this is the one I spent at one of those big, fancy hotel parties downtown where everyone is young and ruining their really fancy clothes by getting sloppy drunk. I did not ruin my fancy clothes, thankyouverymuch. I behaved myself. I clearly remember the first song after the countdown being “Hey, Ya” by Outkast. And there was champagne!

Another average year of work (and yes, I'm working in that photo). Learned a lot. Loved a lot. No regrets for 2004.
New Year’s Eve 2004/2005
Spent on my brother’s couch in Florida. We made fondue and I’m pretty sure we both passed out before 11pm. Ahh, adulthood! We attempted to make hurricanes using some mix I’d picked up in New Orleans. They were the most awful concoction I’ve ever imbibed. We ended up with champagne J
In 2005, old relationships ended, and new ones began. The period between January 2005 and January 2006 was perhaps the most influential in shaping the person I am today. I learned so much about myself and made some much-needed improvements. The year wasn’t without pain, but for every ounce of pain I went through in that year, I’ve been so blessed to have experienced 10 ounces of joy since then. Also in 2005, I finally join the 21st century and get a digital camera. Which is why I suddenly have photos to go with my recap beginning in this year.
Me. In 2005. In New England. Again.New Year’s Eve 2005/2006
Umm, parents’ couch with champagne. My mom and dad both had to work and L’il Bro went out partying (as he should have). I didn’t want to go out so I ate and drank champagne and rang in the New Year in delicious solitude. Thankfully that was not a symbol of the year that was to come!
You see, not even one month later I met The Good.Sport. This was not our first meeting. We had met a year before, but had not has so much as a two-sentence conversation. In 2006 I met him again and we immediately hit it off. He was to move to the DC area that June, and I initially told him to look me up when he arrived. He didn’t have to, as we were already together when he moved up.
This was taken on the trip where we met.Another year of great change, I moved (but stayed in the same town). I moved in with BFF, who had herself experienced great changes in 2006. In 2006 I also adopted my doggie, who I love to bits. Oh and I started a new job. Lots going on, most of it good.
New Year’s Eve 2006/2007
Spent on my parents’ couch with mom, dad, and The Good.Sport. Can’t remember if L’il Bro was there or if he went out. Champagne was there!
In January 2007 The Good.Sport asked me to marry him. I said yes. There were diamonds, people, I wasn’t gonna say no ;)
Smart man. He brought champagne to go with the diamonds.That year ended up being one of the most joyous and also the toughest of my life, but in the end joy won out. Oh, and I moved. Again. Still the same town, though.
Oh and that friend from the Wrigleyville NYE? She and her now-husband became parents to twins. I’d say life has changed, wouldn’t you?
New Year’s Eve 2007/2008
This was spent in Grand Lake, Colorado with another very good friend of mine, her then-brand-new fiancé, and two other couples. We sang, we danced, we ate, we drank champagne J It was snowy and cold outside, but so very warm and cozy inside.
Also in 2008 I became legally attached to The Good.Sport.

We got news of changes to come, and the news was good. Colorado friend got married, which brought us back to Colorado again (yay!).

Oh and I moved. Because that’s what people do when they get married. They move in with their husbands. This one wasn’t my fault.
New Year’s Eve 2008/2009
It was so very cold out that night. We went home after an early dinner to curl up with the dog on the couch and ring in the new year. I’m pretty sure both of us were basically asleep by 11 but we woke up at 12 to see the ball drop. And drink champagne.
Between the last two years I’ve made some of my newest and closest friends. These are some seriously awesome ladies, y’all. As I learned in Brownies, “Make new friends, and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!” So. True.
Another move in 2009. Again, not my fault, people. The Good.Sport’s job brought us out here, to paradise. Where we are now. With the roaches. You remember the roaches, right?
The beach makes up for it.
New Year’s Eve 2009/2010
Dinner with neighbors and quality couch time, mostly trying to calm the dog from the war zone of fireworks that comes with New Year’s Eve in Paradise. Out here, they delay the airing of the New York stuff until it’s at the “right” time for us. So we watched Dick Clark 5 hours after the rest of the world. Barely made it to midnight but did have champagne!
So I started out the last decade living in Massachusetts, not yet finished with college, wondering what I was going to be doing in the next year more than whether I’d ever get married or get a job. When I was little I told my family I’d get married in 2001. I don’t know why I said that, probably because when you’re 8, 23 sounds OLD and so is obviously the perfect age to get married. Ha! The best laid plans…
Anyways here I am 10 years, 3 jobs, 8 places of residence (YOU try filling out a federal background check form with that record), 1 dog, 1 husband, 4 states, and an ocean later.
And I can’t wait to see how crazily different my life is ten years from now!

We got news of changes to come, and the news was good. Colorado friend got married, which brought us back to Colorado again (yay!).

Oh and I moved. Because that’s what people do when they get married. They move in with their husbands. This one wasn’t my fault.
New Year’s Eve 2008/2009
It was so very cold out that night. We went home after an early dinner to curl up with the dog on the couch and ring in the new year. I’m pretty sure both of us were basically asleep by 11 but we woke up at 12 to see the ball drop. And drink champagne.
Between the last two years I’ve made some of my newest and closest friends. These are some seriously awesome ladies, y’all. As I learned in Brownies, “Make new friends, and keep the old, one is silver and the other gold!” So. True.
Another move in 2009. Again, not my fault, people. The Good.Sport’s job brought us out here, to paradise. Where we are now. With the roaches. You remember the roaches, right?
The beach makes up for it.
New Year’s Eve 2009/2010
Dinner with neighbors and quality couch time, mostly trying to calm the dog from the war zone of fireworks that comes with New Year’s Eve in Paradise. Out here, they delay the airing of the New York stuff until it’s at the “right” time for us. So we watched Dick Clark 5 hours after the rest of the world. Barely made it to midnight but did have champagne!
So I started out the last decade living in Massachusetts, not yet finished with college, wondering what I was going to be doing in the next year more than whether I’d ever get married or get a job. When I was little I told my family I’d get married in 2001. I don’t know why I said that, probably because when you’re 8, 23 sounds OLD and so is obviously the perfect age to get married. Ha! The best laid plans…
Anyways here I am 10 years, 3 jobs, 8 places of residence (YOU try filling out a federal background check form with that record), 1 dog, 1 husband, 4 states, and an ocean later.
And I can’t wait to see how crazily different my life is ten years from now!


Thanks for the disclaimer Lyds! And man when I think of the last 10 years...I'm amazed at how things have changed and how much I've grown. And just an FYI...I was 15 at the ringing in of the new decade. I love the pictures of you on the boat.
ReplyDelete