03 January 2010

Further Proof

So I've heard it said that Hawaii is 10-15 years behind the Mainland United States of America.

At times this is painfully evident. For example, they haven't yet figured out here that you can recycle paper that isn't plain white office paper or newspaper. It's sad. Plastic is severely restricted as well. We barely used to throw out any trash (or "rubbish," as the kids here are calling it these days) at all - almost everything went to recycling. Not so, out here. And they don't have curbside (though the upside of this is that the schools have collection bins, and they use the money from redeemed deposits to benefit the schools, so we'll let that one slide).

In Hawaii, you can still ride in the bed of a pickup truck and go sans helmet on a motorcycle. Fine, whatever, you're only hurting yourself if things go wrong. You can still smoke in restaurants and bars, though, which now feels completely foreign to me. Being asked, "Smoking or non-smoking?" upon entering a restaurant always makes me do a double-take.

Anyways, The Good.Sport proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he listens to me. I know, right?

There have been these commericals for STOMP on TV lately, since it is (soon to be "was") on a limited run here.

I know that on at least one occasion I said, "Oh cool! STOMP! I've always wanted to see that and never got around to it!" He claims it was every time the commercial aired. It's my word versus his. Who are you going to believe?

Yeah I think this must have happened more than once, because The Good.Sport took it upon himself to purchase tickets for us to see this show. All by himself.

A round of applause for my dear husband, ladies and gentlemen! This is the kind of thing that makes me realize I'm very lucky to have him.

Or he's very lucky to have been trained by me.

Whatever.

Anyways, so tonight we went to the Hawaii Theater to see STOMP!















Now, the Hawaii Theater was built in the 1920s for vaudeville acts. It went through a stint as a movie theater, then was dormant for a while, and was restored in 1996.

1996.

The year I graduated from high school.

Which was two years AFTER tonight's show, STOMP, premiered in the US. And FIVE years after it premiered in London.

I told you this state was behind the times.

At any rate, the show was fab. I enjoyed the heck out of it, which probably explains why it's still running nearly 20 years after it originally came out. They even put a local spin on things, since one of the dancers is a local and threw a few obvious Hawaiian and Samoan dance moves into his solos. Very entertaining! Major points and a huge shoutout to The Good.Sport for picking up on my hints and making it all happen! With good seats, to boot!

And now I'm sitting here, blogging, and watching The Good.Sport play Super Mario Wii. I suppose that is a better addiction for him than a few other things I could name here but won't.

And I'm drinking Veuve Cliquot Demi Sec left over from New Year's Eve (if you don't have a champagne saver I highly recommend you spend the $5 because it will change your life).

I threw in a generous handful of frozen strawberries, so it's healthy.

No, really. It's a whole serving of fruit.

Shut it.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, he did good! We saw it in DC awhile back and I was bouncing in my seat like a 5 year old I was so giddy with excitement! :-)

    ReplyDelete