20 October 2009

Facebook Is Not Real Life

I get it. Facebook is fun. It has allowed me to reconnect with former classmates and colleagues, and to more quickly share information with some of the friends I've made since.

Facebook is fun. I enjoy it.

But Facebook is NOT REAL LIFE.

My bestest friend ever? Not even on Facebook. Does that mean we aren't friends or that our friendship doesn't "count"? Of course not! I find it seriously ridiculous that people who are in their 30s seem to think that unfriending someone on Facebook is a way to "get back" at people, send a "message," or do anything other than cease the sharing goofy pictures and the occasional witty status update with that person. C'mon people. Even the people I went to high school with don't still act like we're in high school.

If you're my friend, you're my friend, and you know it. If you're my real-life friend, you likely have my email at the very least, and maybe a phone number or two, and you know you can email or call or text at any time and I will be there for you. I'm not going to add people to Facebook, or maintain them as Facebook friends, if they aren't a long-lost classmate OR someone I interact with regularly. I don't care about being the person with the highest friend count. If we don't talk, chances are we're not still Facebook friends. Does that mean I never want to talk to you again? Uh, no. Does that mean I don't still consider you a person I'm friendly with? Uh, no. It simply means that we don't talk much on Facebook. Period.

If we used to be Facebook friends but we're not anymore, and you have my email address, and you care that you're no longer my Facebook friend, ask me what's up.

And if we're truly, honestly in-real-life friends, you know that it doesn't matter whether you're my Facebook friend or not.

Because FACEBOOK ISN'T REAL LIFE.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one. Wanna know what even MORE childish? Ending a friendship via MYSPACE. You know, the place where all the 12 year olds carry out their drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you anymore than I already have. FB is just a connection site, not meant for drama and if you have drama, take it off the page. Some people are martyrs and they don't know how to stop being one.

    This just goes to show: Karma is a bitch.

    We all have friends and this person is suffering alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahahaha. I saw this teaser this morning on my blogger dashboard but didn't have time to read it until tonight. Facebook causes more drama than it should. Just ask my dad. Good grief.

    )))martyrs(((

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, is your dad ON FB? If not, I cannot ask him.

    ReplyDelete